photo aboutmeNEW_zps61fbca22.png  photo healthylivingbuttonNEW_zpscf3f2246.png  photo ContactMe_zpsfeda721c.png

Thursday 15 May 2014

Problem skin on a budget - Acne.

This has turned into an exceptionally long post, but I really want to share my experiences with you on Acne prone skin.

I've suffered from acne type spots for around 6 years now, typically I had perfect skin as a teenager, then rolling into my 20's I started developing acne spots. Fortunately there wasn't always a lot of spots, but the spots that I did have were always sore, unsightly and lasted for weeks.

 
Like most people with skin problems, I've tried almost every product out there that promises to get rid of acne and give 'perfect skin'. Suffice to say...none of these worked for me.
This is the two-pronged approach that worked for me;

First up - products.


(1) Its an oldie but a goodie...Ponds Cold Cream Cleanser. You can purchase this at Boots for £3.49!


                                   


Now, you may think I've confused this post with a snippet from a 1950's housewives beauty manual?! But Cold Cream has been used by women for hundreds of years and it is AMAZING.

I use it daily and it's a gentle way to remove all traces of make-up - even waterproof mascara! It looks like a thick moisturiser; just apply to skin as you would a normal cleanser. To remove it I use a muslin cloth - which is more gentle than a flannel.

(2) Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser - £8.99 - from 'the pharmacy' section of drug store.


This stuff is fabulous! It's non-comodegenic (doesn't block pores) fragrance-free and PH balanced, specifically designed for acne-prone skin and it doesn't strip the skin either. Just apply and wash off with water - simple!



                                    

(3) Cetraben - again from the 'pharmacy' section of the drug store for only a couple of £'s.

I have to thank my other-half for this one, where as a life-long eczema sufferer he has a stash of creams for all occasions. He handed this to me on one of my bad days...and this is just something you'll have to try.


Cetraben is available at any Pharmacy - but you'll have to ask for it over the counter. It is primarily designed for people with Eczema as a hydrator. But, I use it as a face mask 2-3 times a week, cake it on and leave for 10-15 mins. Most of it will absorb (how much it absorbs will tell you how dry your skin was/is)...but the excess I wipe off with a cotton pad.


If you're wondering why I would use an Eczema cream as a face mask...ok?! Cetraben is an Emollient: and why are Emollients important? Emollients reduce water loss from skin, creating a barrier that protects your skin from various things that will irritate it; e.g. shampoos, shower gel etc. It also helps to reduce itching thereby allowing you to keep your hands off and therefore keep those pesky spots from erupting and leaving those that have already started from getting worse or being more prolonged. 


                              


(4) Simple kind to skin vital vitamin day cream.
Its important to choose a day cream specifically designed for sensitive skin and with a good SPF as excessive exposure to UV rays can sometimes make acne worse.

I like this product, its super hydrating, SPF 15, free of harsh chemicals and irritants and a bargain at only £5.60.
 
                     


Next...tips and lifestyle advice to ban those blemishes.

● Don't pick! They say "practise what you preach" and on this point even I MUST follow my own advice. It is super hard at times to keep your hands off your face. You DO NOT want to introduce germs and bacteria to give you more spots. REMEMBER there is more bacteria under your fingernails at any one time than on ANY other part of your body. Go figure-stop picking!


● If you use a muslin cloth as part of your routine, DO NOT re-use it as you'll just spread bacteria. Worse, you'll encourage more spots! Keep a stash of muslin cloths and use them once; you can buy them quite cheaply from places like Amazon.


● If you're having a particularly bad break-out...DO NOT use make up - unless you ABSOLUTELY have to. hmmm..."absolutely have to"...I'm talking you
have an interview, an important work  presentation or something similar. Be as make-up free as you can.


● Use a pillowcase made from natural material; i.e. Cotton or silk. Anything 'man made'  an encourage spots to burst in the night, then through natural movement in your sleep you could spread the bacteria all over your face - yuk!


I really hope this has been at least some help to you!

L x









No comments:

Post a Comment