photo aboutmeNEW_zps61fbca22.png  photo healthylivingbuttonNEW_zpscf3f2246.png  photo ContactMe_zpsfeda721c.png

Thursday 17 July 2014

Highlighting and Contouring - A basic guide.

Thanks to Kim Kardashian, contouring has become more and more popular lately. I've put together a really easy guide on how to achieve that chiselled look.

What can I use to contour? The answer really is anything you want, powders, foundations, separate bronzers and highlighters, there are loads of contouring kits on the market. I really like the 'Sleek Contour Kit', it's a real bargain at just £6.49. Just ensure the darker shade is matte and the lighter shade has light reflecting elements.

What colour should I use? Well a good rule of thumb is two shades darker and two shades lighter than your natural skin tone. However...if you're super pale like yours truly, then stick to one shade darker and one lighter anymore and the effect will be more dramatic.

What brushes should I use? For me personally the brushes doesn't matter TOO much. I say that because as long as they're relatively small and narrow, it'll get the job done. My favourite is 'Real Techniques Expert Face Brush' - I actually have a couple of these brushes I use for both the contour and the highlight. It's really great for both liquid and powder.

 


Ok, now onto the application. It's really simple - 'E' for contour and 'C' for highlight. Starting at the top of your forehead by your hairline, draw an 'E' shape going down the side of the temple, under your cheekbone stopping about an inch from the corner of your mouth, then under your jawline. Now for the 'C' you want to highlight just above your eyebrow around to just on the top of your cheekbone.

Next for a 'Y' shape, with your highlight, from the forehead and down the bridge of the nose, either side you'll want to put your darker colour, this will give you the illusion of a slimmer, more contoured nose.



Do you contour and highlight as part of your daily routine?


 

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous post - really, really helpful! I love the RT brushes too :)

    Style Sunrise

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, such a lovely comment. I know I can't stop buying them, obsessed! :) xx

      Delete