photo aboutmeNEW_zps61fbca22.png  photo healthylivingbuttonNEW_zpscf3f2246.png  photo ContactMe_zpsfeda721c.png

Friday 1 August 2014

Asking for Beauty Samples | Building rapport

So, there you are, cruising your whichever makeup/beauty department store and you want to ask for a product-sample before splashing out on the real deal...but you're unsure on how to go about it. Well, let me share some of my tips!



Don't be intimidated
So you approach the counter, the counter is quiet and the staff are all huddled, chatting amongst themselves or engrossed in some other work. Don't be afraid to approach them and ask for help: be confident...after all that's where they work and they're usually more than happy to help.

Be polite
"Treat others as you would expect to be treated" - no-one likes a rude customer! Talk to the staff member and be friendly, as this is beneficial in building a rapport with your favorite beauty counter. They will be more likely to remember you and what you like, and give you samples.

Try to be loyal to your favourite staff member

Once you've started to build a rapport with that staff member, don't lose it by going back and speaking to someone different. If they're good at their job they will usually tell you what times they are working (normally because they want the sale). Nevertheless, play on this and always go back to them. As an example; I always buy my Chanel products at a counter 10 miles from my house, even
though there is a perfectly good concession three miles away. Why do I do this? Easy; because I've built a fantastic relationship with the lovely lady that works there. She knows what I love, what I don't, and what my foundation shade is without asking me.

Try to avoid counters at peak times
If you're new to all this, you certainly don't want to go when they are at their busiest. This will vary depending on where the store is located - although use your common sense. If it's in a city centre, peak times will normally be at lunchtime throughout the working week. Saturdays and Sundays are also generally busy. Take into consideration 'payday' people: those who will usually be buying more
around the last week of the month. At these times the staff are often rushing around from one customer to another and you absolutely will not get their full attention.

Don't let one bad experience ruin it for you
Unfortunately, there will always be that one member of staff that is just plain rude or indifferent, which often puts people off asking for samples or approaching other beauty counters for help. Some people really aren't cut out for a job in customer service and this isn't your fault: they may just be having a bad day so just walk away and try again another day.

Don't be a sample hog
Ok, so although you're well within your rights to ask for samples, don't ask for them if you have no intention in purchasing the product, even if you do like it.

Do you ever ask for samples?

L x



12 comments:

  1. I also like to ask the brand directly for samples. I have always bought products in full size because I had the sample. I think it's so essential to try products before buying them Gin http://bit.ly/1pvirZP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never ask for samples, or may be next time I will. But I think not all beauty counter or cosmetics have samples for their customer. Some cases, you need to spend your bucks first before getting samples.
    Doh.. Nice to read your post.


    Http://beautyasti1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice. Beauty counter secret..........the cupboards are rammed with samples.

    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gotten samples from Sephora in the past, only little things of their concealer or primer though. Never really knew how to ask for samples of any other sort of product.
    The sample definitely sold me though - once I used up all the primer they gave me I went back and bought the full size version. It was a purchase I probably wouldn't make without getting to really try the product out a few times at home first!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have asked for high end foundation samples, it frustrates me if they dont do them - it's like I don't want to spend 40 pounds on something if I haven't tried it in natural light! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, the high end counters are probably just being difficult if they have refused you samples. I know Chanel takes the product and dispenses it into a little tube for me to take away, it can be hit and miss, stay strong! :-P

      Delete
  7. I have never asked for a sample in my life. My friends know me too well that I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to asking for them at beauty store. They even got me the two samples i had been wanting of a mac concealer for my 21st birthday - amongst other gifts - which i thought was rather sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember being hesitant but like I said..................those counters have samples and we deserve to have them lol. @Jasmin the high end products have more samples than the mainstream counters x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love samples - it's much easier to get a feel for a product if you've used it for a couple of days rather than a quick squirt on the back of your hand! They're also really handy for short breaks or your airline carry-on!

    My husband's the best though - if he gets me a present from Space NK he charms the sales women into giving him bag fulls of samples for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have only asked for samples once and that was at benefit. I didn't want to just buy the product if it wasn't going to work for me as it was more expensive than what I normally pay, but the girl refused to let me have any at all and was actually rude about it but when I went to the benefit counter at another shop the girl gave a small sample and I Ended up buying all of my benefit products from her. I didn't ask for a sample just to have it I did want to buy the product I just have sensitive skin.
    X

    ReplyDelete